Thursday, May 17, 2007

Washington Slept Here ?!?!?!



While working on an upcoming exhibition for the Winborne & Winborne Law Office, I recently discovered an interesting letter addressed to B.B. Winborne. The letter was written in 1904, by a gentleman busy preparing a catalogue announcing a school that Judge Winborne was planning for Murfreesboro.



Trinity, N.C. June 15, 1904

Judge B.B. Winborne, Murfreesboro N.C.

Dear Sir:-
I am down at work on the catalogue and I happened to think that we never said a word as to terms ! Strange, is it not ? So far as I now can tell, there will be two main divisions in the school - Primary and High School. The charges will be the customary charges for the studies pursued in each - not too little nor yet too large. I should be glad if you would suggest the charges as these ordinarily are put in the catalogues. I never thought to ask the customary charges for such and such a grade and I am afraid I should either make them too large and thus scare pupils away or too small and prevent the school from being self supporting.

Another thing or two will help me: - Have some pictures made of the mineral spring showing as much as possible of the hill back of it, also of the long bridge near the wharf (A splendid picture of it can be found in J.C. Scarborough's C.B.F. Institute catalogue). I want in these pictures to show the hills and that deep ravine. Besides these I want a picture of the house Washington stayed in. These can be easily had and are essential to my plans. Have clearly cut outlines in these pictures and let the contrast of light and shade be emphasized. This will assist the engraver and the best results will be obtained.

I want the following information also: - How far is it from Tunis by boat to Murfreesboro? What is the name of the stream upon which Murfreesboro is situated ? (Is it called the Meherrin?) Maps do not show the name, only as "Kirby's Creek" - What is the usual charge for board? What is the usual charge for washing ?

Now one or two more things and I am done. Send to me the pictures thus made of Mineral Springs, Long Bridge, Watson House (where Washington stayed), and the above information about Tuition, Board, Washing, and answers concerning Murfreesboro, etc. and I shall soon show you a fine catalogue.

Again let me thank you for your recent kindness and assure you I shall do all in my power to have a good school at that place. With the very best wishes,

I am, Sir,
Very respectfully,
W.F.McCanless

P.S. How many catalogues can we use this year ? W.F. Mc.



An interesting letter about the production and design of a proposed school catalogue. As a longtime Photo Curator, I especially like that he requested photographs to illustrate the catalogue.

But I was stunned to read the part about "the house where Washington stayed" ! He later identified it as the "Watson House". I don't recall ever hearing anyone mention the "Watson House" or the suggestion that Washington visited Murfreesboro.

Is that possible? Could George Washington have actually "slept here" ?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Washington might have visited Murfreesboro because of his connections to the Dismal Swamp canal.

history said...

It's a wonder that Washington didn't get stuck in the Dismal Swamp --- Murfreesboro would have been the most direct route to Halifax.

MHA Blogger said...

I just received an email with information about the Watson House. According to a longtime resident "there was a man named B. O. Watson who lived in Murfreesboro. His home was on Main Street approximately where Tommy Forbes insurance agency is located." Forbes Nationawide Insurance is on the sw corner of Fourth and Main Streets. Is this the same "Watson House" mentioned in the letter?