Friday, June 19, 2009

Fannie Southall's Death

Raleigh Biblical Recorder, April 15, 1853:

(From Dr. Samuel J. Wheeler, on a visit to relatives in Mississippi. Samuel Wheeler at the time owned and lived in the Wheeler House.)


"My pen is sad to-night; news from Carolina renders me melancholy. A letter just received, contains the following morceau:

'When quiet and composure were brought about, they proceeded from giving away of the power of life. It was the calm preceeding death. As the lamp of life flickered in its socket for the last time, her consciousness returned, and reason reascended her throne; she recognized her father, who had been her constant attendant during the wild delirium that had supplanted her judgement, with her dying breath whisperedin his ear 'though I walk the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil' and died quiet and resigned. G.C.M.'

I had left this fair young being blooming in health and beauty but a few short months since, the life of every circle, the cynosure of all eyes;and hoped again to see her, and spend years of pleasure with her; but she is gone. I can only say, farewell, dear cousin. To relieve an aching heart, before closing my eyes in sleep, I penned the following lines:

'In memory of Miss .F. Southall, late of Murfreesboro N.C. ....


(Long poem follows. Dr. Wheeler had heard of Fannie Southall's death from his brother-in-law, Dr. Godwin Cotton Moore. She was the daughter of John W. Southall by his first marriage to Julia Johnson.)

3 comments:

betsy said...

Jwsouthall was my ggrandfather and my father was John southall lawrence,jr. we lived in murfreesboro for a time during my childhood of which i have a few fond memories. i am 66 years old and have been gone for years; however i still visit from time to time. i am pleased to hve the fannie southall info and know that she had such faith in her dying moment. to God be the glory

betsy lawrence

betsy said...

betsy laawrence again...if any Lawrence or Southall relatives check this site contact me. i would love to hear from you.

Unknown said...

Visited the site. My maternal gmother was also named Fannie Southall (nee Brumbelow) from Commanche Co. TX. Always wondered if Fannie was a nick name or given. Not Sure. GFather was Porter Oliver Southall also from Commanche Co.