Saturday, May 19, 2007

Pork Fest 2007


Today is PORK FEST 2007 - an annual fundraiser for the Brady C. Jefcoat Museum of Americana (in Murfreesboro NC).

In honor of Pork Fest 2007, I thought I'd post another primary research tool. This time it's the transcription of a letter related to the historic PIGS of Murfreesboro !



March 29th, 1904

Mr. B.B. Winborne
Murfreesboro N.C.

Dear Sir:

Your valued favor of 25th just reached me here in New York having been forwarded by Mrs. Owens. I thank you very much for the order for eggs which Mrs. Owens wrote you about and wish you every success with them. You will certainly get the best that can be bred. Its alright about the money and you can remit to Mrs. Owens.

Now about the Duroc Jersey pigs. While I claim to have the best fowls in the State I know I have the best hogs east of Ohio. Had an order today for a pair of pigs to go to Morehead City to be shown at the State Fair this fall and they will win first prize sure. Can furnish you a fine pair of Duroc Jersey pigs entitled to registry, one boar and 2 sows 8 weeks old for $22. The pigs will not be ready to ship for several weeks but you had better place your order at once for I have orders booked now for 20 pigs and orders and queries coming in every day. I thank you very much for your query and trust I may be favored with your order and guarantee to give you the best that can be bred.

Very sincerely yours,
William G. Owens & Co
"The Cedars"
Poultry and Stock Farm
Midlotian Virginia


Eggs and Ham ... hmmmmm .... suddenly I have an strange craving for breakfast !

No comments: